There are things that could cause your air conditioner to leak water.
It is a messy problem and can also cause significant water damages to your home. Issues like these can also lead to much bigger problems.
Clogged Drain Line
If you see that your air conditioner’s drain pan is overflowing, the condensate drain pipe must be clogging.
A solution is to drain the clogging lines to remove all dirt, rust, algae, and other debris.
Disconnected Drain Line
Improperly installed drains pipe fittings may loose over time, causing water leakage. The leak depends on the disconnected pipe from your air conditioner in the attic or in your house.
Condensate Pump Problems
A dirty or malfunctioning condensate pump also causes water leakage from your air conditioner. It can flood your attic or basement. A running water leakage, mold, and mildew can grow inside the unit, causing it to clog.
Other Potential Causes of AC Water Leakage
• Condensate buildup in un-insulated ductwork
• Clogged air filter
• Low refrigerant
• Cracked condensate drain pan
Ways to Avoid Damage from Water Leakage
You can follow these tips to reduce the chances of water leakage issues:
• A secondary drain line from your air conditioner mainly if it is located in the attic
• Cleaning or changing your air filter regularly
•Properly insulated ductwork
• Check your air conditioner’s refrigerant levels regularly
• Keep condensate pump free from mold and mildew by flushing it with a 50% bleach/water solution
• Schedule annual HVAC appointment to perform AC tune-up and minimize repairs.